Tooth decay symptoms are one of the most common oral issues dentists deal with. It can cause significant damage to a person's teeth, and it can even lead to teeth falling out. Tooth decay can be caused by a variety of things like a bad diet or practicing poor oral hygiene.One of the most common…
Permanent Teeth Facts You Should Know
There are many permanent teeth facts that most people are unaware of, but the more someone understands about teeth, the easier it is to take proper care of them. Most people have a bad habit of taking their teeth for granted, and that often leads to the development of dental issues that cost money to address.
Neglecting one's oral health can also lead to significant health issues down the road. The first step toward taking proper care of teeth is understanding how they work and the things that can damage them.
The development of permanent teeth
People have two different sets of teeth during their lives. The primary teeth and permanent teeth. The primary teeth are the first set of teeth to erupt, and these are typically fully formed by the time the child is two years old. The permanent teeth begin to emerge around the age of seven.
Baby teeth act as placeholders for permanent teeth, and they are pushed out of the way when the latter are ready to emerge. Both sets of teeth follow a similar pattern when it comes to their development.
The development of these two sets of teeth starts in the womb, as early as a couple of months from conception. That is when the development of tooth buds starts.
Now here is another interesting permanent teeth fact: Most adults have 32 permanent teeth permanent teeth, but four of these are not necessary at all. These are known as wisdom teeth since they tend to emerge later in life, and they are prone to having complications. Most dentists recommend having wisdom teeth removed.
Other interesting permanent teeth facts include:
- The enamel of a tooth is the hardest surface of a tooth. It is stronger than even bones. It is also exposed to more stress and forces than any other part of the body
- Humans have four main types of teeth. These are the canines, incisors, premolars and molars. Their functions are to tear, cut, and grind food respectively
- Primary and permanent teeth are the only sets of teeth a person has throughout their lives. Taking care of both sets of teeth is equally important
- Every person's teeth are as unique as their fingerprints. No two people have the same set of teeth.
- The mouth secretes around 25,000 quarts of saliva over the course of a lifetime. That is more than enough to fill up two standard sized swimming pools. Saliva serves as a natural teeth cleaner that removes bacteria, food particles and acids from teeth surfaces
- The typical person spends a total of 38.5 days brushing their teeth over the course of their lives
- Dental health is closely related to overall health. Diseases like diabetes, strokes and heart disease have all been liked to oral health
- About a third of each permanent tooth rest below the gumline
- Milk or saliva can be used to protect a permanent tooth if it gets knocked out
Schedule a consultation with a dentist today
Request an appointment in our Metairie dentist office here: https://www.drcharvet.com.
People often fall for false dental information and miss out on the chance for proper dental hygiene.We offer helpful dental information such as the fact that you need to floss before brushing for any real effect. The flossing releases food particles from between teeth that the brush cleans up.Helpful Dental InformationAt Charvet Dental Center in…
Has it been a while since your last dental checkup? Keep your smile healthy by scheduling one todayIf it is time for a dental checkup or you have not had one in the last six months, give us a call. We won't judge you and truly only care about keeping your teeth healthy. Schedule your…
While not having your teeth cared for can lead to a variety of future problems, many people still do not grasp the importance of regular trips to your Metairie dentist. A dentist can help you lead a long, healthy life, free of many ailments.Early detection of cavities is one of the main reasons it is…