Are you happy with your smile? A lot of dentists will ask this preliminary question during a first exam, and for good reason! Our smile is a huge part of who we are and how we express ourselves.
Here at Charvet Dental Center, Dr. Hunter and Dr. Hunter Jr. would like to give you all the information you need to answer another important question: What is cosmetic dentistry—and is it right for me?
A Beautiful Branch of Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving the appearance of a patient’s teeth, gums, and overall smile. Traditional dentistry tends to concentrate on oral health and functionality, while cosmetic dentistry is about aesthetics.
We offer a number of popular cosmetic treatments at Charvet Dental Center, including Invisalign, teeth whitening, and veneers. But before we dive into those, let’s talk about why this may be a good route for you to take.
Why Should I Consider Treatment?
Cosmetic dentistry is usually a personal choice and depends on your preferences, goals, and needs. But it might also be clinically necessary for your health. Here are some reasons our patients might pursue a cosmetic procedure:
- Enhancing Overall Smile Appearance: Addressing issues like stained, discolored, chipped, or misaligned teeth can achieve a more attractive and confident smile.
- Boosting Self-Confidence: An improved smile can significantly enhance self-esteem and self-confidence! Feeling better about your smile can positively impact your personal and professional life in the long run.
- Reversing Signs of Aging: As we age, our teeth may naturally show signs of wear and discoloration. Cosmetic dentistry can help reverse some of these effects, restoring a more youthful appearance.
- Dental Health Benefits: Some cosmetic procedures, like teeth whitening or veneers, aren’t merely for the sake of appearance. They can also offer dental health benefits. For example, removing surface stains can improve oral hygiene.
- Special Occasions: Many of our patients consider cosmetic dentistry before special occasions like weddings to look their best in photos with friends and family.
Common Cosmetic Procedures
Let’s go over what some cosmetic treatments entail so that you have a good idea of what to expect if you’re considering making aesthetic alterations to your smile! Please note that we offer all of these services at our office!
- Teeth Whitening: This is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures, which involves the use of bleaching agents to whiten and brighten discolored or stained teeth. We can whiten your smile by up to eight shades! You can learn about Zoom teeth whitening on this page.
- Smile Makeovers: One of the more dramatic transformation options, these involve a combination of cosmetic procedures to completely reconstruct a person’s smile, addressing various issues simultaneously.
- Dental Implants: These are used to replace missing or extremely damaged teeth and can improve both the appearance and function of a smile.
- Tooth-Colored Fillings: Instead of traditional silver amalgam fillings, tooth-colored materials like composite resin are used to repair cavities, making them less noticeable.
- Clear Aligners: Clear aligners are a popular orthodontic treatment option used to straighten teeth and correct various bite issues. They are a discreet and removable alternative to traditional braces.
- Dental Veneers: Thin shells made of porcelain or composite resin are custom-designed and bonded to the front of teeth to correct issues like chips, stains, or minor misalignments. We offer veneers in a variety of materials, all of which have different advantages. It is important to note that this process can take some time. We’ll choose the right option for you!
- Dental Crowns: Crowns, also known as caps, are used to cover damaged or misshapen teeth, restoring their appearance and function.
- Q: Are cosmetic dentistry procedures painful?
It all depends! Most procedures are performed with local anesthesia to minimize pain, and can be treated afterwards with ice and over-the-counter pain meds. Some treatments, like teeth whitening, may cause temporary tooth sensitivity. It all depends on the invasiveness of the procedure and how well you follow our guidelines for post-treatment care.
- Q: How long does it take to see results from cosmetic dentistry?
The timeline for seeing results also depends on the specific procedure. For example, teeth whitening can produce immediate results, while orthodontic treatments like veneers or aligners may take several months or even years to achieve the desired outcome.
- Q: How long do the results of cosmetic dentistry procedures last?
The longevity of any given treatment is dependent on your oral hygiene habits and lifestyle factors. Dental crowns and veneers can last for many years with proper care.
Love Your Smile Better With Charvet Dental Center!
Our mission is to use our experience to help you love the way your smile looks! A lot of these treatments can be intimidating, we know—but we look after each and every one of our patients to ensure exceptional results! If you’re interested in cosmetic dentistry, you can give our Metairie office a call at 504-834-6504.